The Fulbright U.S. program Scholar 2021-2022 is now open!
Explore awards to teach and/or conduct research in more than 125 countries. There are opportunities available for teachers, administrators, professionals, artists, journalists, scientists, lawyers, independent academics and more.
The US Fulbright Scholar program. It offers almost 470 teaching, research or teaching/research awards combined in more than 125 countries. There are opportunities available for professors and administrators of colleges and universities, as well as professionals, artists, journalists, scientists, lawyers, independent academics and many others. In addition to several new program models designed to meet the changing needs of US academics and professionals. In the USA, Fulbright offers more opportunities for flexible grants from several countries.
Fullbright is a program of the Office of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States Department of State. The Fulbright Program is the main international educational exchange program sponsored by the United States government and is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and people from other countries.
The Fulbright Program was established in 1946 under the legislation introduced by then-Senator J. William Fulbright of Arkansas. The Fulbright Program is sponsored by the Office of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the US Department of State.
The Fulbright Program awards approximately 8,000 grants annually. Approximately 1,600 American students, 4,000 foreign students, 1,200 American academics and 900 visiting academics receive awards, in addition to several hundred teachers and professionals. Approximately 370,000 “Fulbrighters” have participated in the Program since its inception in 1946.
Currently, the Fulbright Program operates in more than 160 countries worldwide.
Duration of the scholarship/program:
Two to 12 months
- Subsidy benefits vary by country and type of award.
- In general, Fulbright grants are budgeted to cover travel and living expenses in the country for the concessionaire and their accompanying dependents.
- Check the description of the prize in the prize catalog and/or consult the program staff responsible for the particular prize that interests you.
- Check the official website for more details.
- Program policy: Fulbright’s full policies for US professors and researchers. UU. They are available here (Chapter 600)
- The Fulbright Program is governed by the policy and procedures established by the Board of Foreign Scholarships J. William Fulbright (FFSB), the 12-member board appointed by the President of the United States.
- Opportunities are open to people, regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, geographic location, socioeconomic status, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Essential eligibility requirements: Applicants must meet all of the following requirements at the time of application unless specific exemptions apply.
- US citizenship: permanent residence is not enough. If you are not a United States citizen and wish to apply for a grant to visit the United States, visit the Visiting Fulbright Scholar Program.
- The beneficiaries of a Fulbright Scholar scholarship are eligible to apply for another Fulbright Scholar scholarship two years after the end of the previous scholarship. (For serial or Flex grants, the two-year period begins at the end of the final grant of the series). See below for additional guidelines.
- Candidates who have resided abroad for five or more consecutive years in the six-year period prior to the application date are not eligible. In this case, it is considered that a period of nine months or more during a calendar year constitutes a full year abroad.
- New university graduates with limited professional experience are not eligible for consideration under the Fulbright Scholar Program. Instead, such applicants can visit the Fulbright Student Program.
- Doctoral students or graduates seeking funding to complete their degrees are not eligible for consideration under the Fulbright Scholar Program. Instead, such applicants can visit the Fulbright Student Program.
- Good physical and mental health: Selected candidates must submit a medical history and an exam report before their grants can be finalized.
- Grants will not authorize participation in pastoral, missionary or other professional religious activities.
- Grants will not authorize participation in activities for which a license to practice medicine or nursing is required
- Applicants are required to disclose any prior conviction for a felony or misdemeanor, including Driving Under the Influence (DUI) or Drunk Driving (DWI) but excluding minor traffic violations. Applicants must immediately notify IIE in writing if they are arrested, charged, charged or convicted of a felony or misdemeanor (excluding minor traffic offenses) after submitting the application ․ FFSB regulations can be found here (Chapter 600 / Section 626 Ineligibility factors).
- Employees and their immediate families (that is, spouses and dependent children) of the US Department of State and the United States Agency for International Development and public or private organizations under contract with the US Department of State. They cannot apply for a Fulbright grant until one year after the termination of such employment.
Note: that candidates who have served in the United States Armed Forces will have preference, provided their qualifications are approximately equivalent to those of other candidates.
- Specific prize requirements: see descriptions of individual awards for additional eligibility information.
- Degree requirements: descriptions of individual awards specify where a Ph.D. or an equivalent professional/terminal degree is required (including a master’s degree, depending on the field).
- Postdoctoral and early career candidates: when an award is open to these candidates, they can submit an application if they complete the requirements for their doctorate (or equivalent) before February 1 of the year following the application deadline, unless otherwise specified in the prize description. If it is not complete at the time of the application, applicants must indicate when they expect to complete their degree in the application.
- Teaching experience: All teaching awards are postsecondary and may vary in experience or discipline requirements, as specified in the award description. Applicants are expected to have relevant teaching experience for the proposed course topics.
- Language requirements: mastery of a foreign language may be required depending on the country, the type of grant activity (teaching or research) and the nature of the proposed projects. (Note: in many areas of the world, English is sufficient for teaching activities).
- Eligibility guidelines for previous Fulbright fellows
- Candidates who previously had a Fulbright Scholar scholarship should be aware that, as a general matter, preference will be given to candidates who have not previously received a Scholar scholarship. Therefore, previous Fulbright Scholar fellows are expected to make a solid justification in their application for a new Fulbright scholarship. For more guidance, see the corresponding section in the Application Requirements and Review Criteria.
- The beneficiaries of a Fulbright Scholar scholarship are eligible to apply for another Fulbright Scholar scholarship two years after the end of the previous scholarship. (For serial or Flex grants, the two-year period begins at the end of the final grant of the series).
Eligible regions: citizens of the United States of America
- The competition for the 2020-2021 academic year is now open.
- Register your interest in My Fulbright through the Request Now link to receive the latest updates and announcements of the program.
- It is essential that all application components required for the US Academic Program. UU. 2021-22 are completed and submitted before the application deadline: Monday, September 15, 2020.
- Verify your eligibility and the description of the award on the official link to know the specific requirements that must be met. Only complete eligible applications will be submitted for consideration.
- The List of Applications, Instructions and Specializations 2020-2021 will be available soon. Please check the official website on a regular basis.
- See the Application section in the official link for more details.
Application deadline: September 15, 2020